Pennsylvania Car Registration Change of Name

Have you recently gotten married, divorced, or had to change your legal name? The Pennsylvania Driver & Vehicle Services recommends that you change the name on your Pennsylvania car regsitration as soon as possible. Select from the options below to get started.

Sponsored Link Ad

1: Get Started with Online Application Assistance

Online application assistance services in Pennsylvania can facilitate the processes involved in many DOT related services by providing invaluable information and step-by-step instruction on how best to proceed. Whether you are looking to renew, replace or get a new PA vehicle registration, online application assistance services can help with these and many more. Other benefits include one-click access to an entire inventory of official Pennsylvania forms and publications, as well as other useful PA resources.

2: By mail

Some drivers prefer to handle the renewal process by mail, rather than taking advantage of assistance services, visiting the DVS in person, or via available online services. Service by mail is available with limitations. Read below for additional details or visit your local DVS.

3: Via a DVS office

If your specific needs require an in-person visit, most, if not all, driver license services can be handled at your local DVS office. Varying DVS offices sometimes supply different types of services so you will need to check before your visit to make sure the DVS closest to you provides the service you require. In addition, you can call to see if your DVS allows you to make a personal appointment.

Change of Name On PA Car Registration

Before changing your name on your Pennsylvania car registration, you must make sure that this change has been made via the United States Social Security Administration. For detailed information on how this can be expedited, visit the Social Security Administration website.

You can only change your name by presenting proof of legal name change with one of the following documents:

  • Marriage document
  • Divorce decree
  • Court-ordered document
  • Certificate of Naturalization

Once this is complete, you may then proceed to request a name change on your car registration. For more information on how to change your name on your PA car registration, visit: