Replace Your Pennsylvania Drivers License

If your Pennsylvania drivers license has been lost, stolen or destroyed, you'll need to get it replaced. We offer links to resources that will save you time and get you going in the right direction. Select from the options below to get started.

1: Get Started with Online Application Services

Online application assistance can simplify the process for many DVS related services for a fee, including: renewing your license, applying for a license, registering a vehicle, replacing your license, changing your address and more. Where possible, we will prepare your DVS forms and/or provide links to DVS online services. You will also receive 30 days of both emergency Roadside Assistance and the Repair Assist consultation service from Road America. Other benefits include an ongoing monthly newsletter and a quarterly magazine covering important updates that affect drivers, important safety tips, trends, legislative updates and ways to save money on vehicle-related services.

2: By mail, if eligible (read below for instructions)

Some drivers prefer to handle the renewal process by mail, rather than taking advantage of assistance services, visiting the DVS in person, or via available online services. Service by mail is available with limitations. Read below for additional details or visit your local DVS.

3: Via a local DVS office

If you prefer to access DVS services in person or your specific needs require an in-person visit, most, if not all, driver license services can be handled at a physical DVS office location. Varying DVS offices sometimes supply different types of services so you will need to check before your visit to make sure the DVS closest to you provides the service you require. In addition, you can call to see if your local DVS allows you to make a personal appointment. Read more below to see if an in-person visit is either preferred or required.


Replacing a Drivers License in Pennsylvania

You can replace your Pennsylvania drivers license with a duplicate by mail by downloading and completing Form DL-901 from the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation's website. You will also need to:

  • Make out a check and money order to pay the appropriate fee or fees
  • Mail your form (application) and forms of payment to:  PennDOT, P.O. Box 68272, Harrisburg, PA 17106-8272

You may download a complete checklist of what is required to replace your drivers license here.


There are different fees for the replacement Pennsylvania drivers license card. Typically, there is a $5 fee if a new camera card is not needed. However, a person who does require a new camera card will be charged a $10 fee. 

A camera card is a temporary license that does not have a photo. It is issued if there is no photo on file for the person carrying the drivers license. If a person receives a camera card, he or she has 60 days to visit a photo license center to have a new picture taken. Payment is only accepted in the form of a check or money order. 

To confirm the proper fee that is required to receive a replacement Pennsylvania drivers license, contact the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation at (717) 412-5300.  

Out of State
If you are out of state during the time your drivers license is stolen, lost or damaged, you can apply for a duplicate license through the mail. This typically applies to students or military personnel. To begin the process to replace a drivers license in Pennsylvania, you can still fill out the Application for Change, Correction or Replacement of a Non-Commercial Driver's License from the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation website. 

Expiring License
If a person has a drivers license or identification card that will expire within the next six months, the person is not eligible to apply for a drivers license replacement in Pennsylvania.  Instead, the person will need to apply to renew their license or identification card.  At this time, there is no method to apply for a Pennsylvania replacement drivers license card online. 

What is an Adult Drivers License?

In some states, the layout of your drivers license may change when you reach a certain age. It is possible for your license to switch from a vertical design to a horizontal card once you turn 21. You may want to seek out a duplicate or replacement adult drivers license when you reach the age of 21.

For a list of related  services, please see below: